Sharing recipes is a fun hobby, even more so to receive your comments about this special recipe, encourage yourself to comment on it.
My wish is that everything goes very well, I am a little indisposed, although this is due to the spring absence, a way to define this time of the year, when I don’t stop and sleep very little, so I can come up with quick, economic and delicious recipes, such as the recipe potato broth and coriander typical of my Canarian land.
Spoon dishes are more appealing with cold weather like this, very simple to prepare, super easy, good and cheap. It is interesting to know that these types of preparations were born at times when there was almost nothing to eat and they were prepared mainly with local ingredients.
My father told me stories from the post-war era when I was a child. It told that there were only potatoes, bananas and a few other foods to eat and that these simple, nutritious and delicious dishes made several generations resist multiple difficulties.
However, I remember that decades ago, when I was growing up, there was not the variety of products that there are now when we didn’t realize the abundance and diversity in which we live. Nowadays, in the supermarket there are all kinds of products and many of them imported from the most distant places on the planet.
It should be noted that before there were not so many products at our disposal, but the production of food was sustainable, with local goods that gave our land, it must be made clear that it is important to import products from other areas so that trade is varied, but consciously so as not to harm our producers and traders.
It is incomprehensible that we do not know that they bring products from other parts of the world just because the market is cheaper than buying them from local orchards. These are reflections that impel me to offer my interpretation of the traditional recipe of potato and egg broth.
Potato, egg and coriander broth recipe
Ingredients (For 6 people)
- 1 kg of potatoes.
- 3 or 4 eggs.
- 1 bunch of cilantro.
- 1 bunch of parsley.
- Extra virgin olive oil.
- 1 Onion.
- 2 or 3 cloves of garlic.
- 1 or 2 tomatoes (fried).
- Saffron strips.
- 1 teaspoon of sweet paprika.
- 1/2 teaspoon cumin powder.
How is this dish prepared?
- Peel and finely chop the onion and garlic and in a pot fry them with a touch of olive oil, put the garlic first and then the pieces of onion, which is fried until it is soft.
- Peeled and chopped tomatoes are then added for easy integration.
- Then, add the paprika and cumin and also the potatoes previously peeled and cut into uncluttered pieces and clicked type with a medium size.
- They are stirred and seasoned for about 1 minute, then add a quantity of water to cover the incorporated ingredients. Add salt to taste and leave to heat for about 20 or 25 minutes, until the potatoes are well cooked, as its cooking will depend on its type.
- Then, after about ten or fifteen minutes of boiling, add the bunches of cilantro and parsley, whole and joined with thread and the strands of saffron.
- At the end, the eggs are added and stirred so that the whites and yolks are frayed with the temperature of the broth, curdled quickly, then removed the preparation of the fire and is ready to delight with this simple dish of the Canary Islands spoon.
It’s simpler than it looks, really. Drop in and try it, you’ll see how good the canary potato and egg broth is, you’ll repeat😉